Since 2005, we have led an effort to understand the interaction between inorganic and biological materials, while maintaining a significant ceramics processing research. We have been advancing understanding in surface functionalization, electrochemistry, materials development for chemical sensing and biosensing, self-assembly of proteins understood by cryo-electron microscopy, and translated fundamental knowledge into functional materials and devices. We have built a home made FLASH sintering device to evaluate electrical field effects on ceramics processing. Materials investigated include Li-ion battery ceramics and high temperature ceramics. Cutting edge characterization techniques (e.g. cryo-TEM) to understand fundamental properties are also a focus in our group.
Recent Publications (2015-2016)
- Andrew Rosenberger*, Bruna Callegari, Lia A. Stanciu*; ZrB2-SiC and ZrB2-ZrC Ceramics with High Secondary Phase Content; Journal of Applied Ceramics Technology (2015), 2, E44-E52.
- E.K. Walker*, E.A. Nauman*, J.P. Allain, Lia A.Stanciu*, An in vitro model for preclinical testing of thrombogenicity of resorbable metallic stents. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A (2015) 103(6), 2118-2125.
- Annadurai Anandhan*, Humberto Rodriguez-Rocha, Iryna Bohovych, Amy M Griggs, Laura Zavala-Flores, Elsa M Reyes-Reyes, Javier Seravalli, Lia A Stanciu, Jaekwon Lee, Jean-Christophe Rochet*, Oleh Khalimonchuk, Rodrigo Franco*, Overexpression of alpha-synuclein at non-toxic levels increases dopaminergic cell death induced by copper exposure via modulation of protein degradation pathways Neurobiology of disease (2015) doi:10.1016/j.nbd.2014.11.018.
- Qi Liu*, Zhefei Li*, Yadong Liu*, Hangyu Zhang*, Yang Ren, Wenquan Lu, Cheng-Jun Sun, Yun Zhou, Lia Stanciu*, Eric Stach, and Jian Xie*, Graphene-modified nanostructured vanadium pentoxide hybrids with extraordinary electrochemical performance for Li-ion batteries. Nature Communications (2015) volume 6, doi:10.1038/ncomms7127, in press published online 2015/1/20.
- Michael Heiden*, Andrew Kustas, Kevin Chaput, Eric Nauman, David Johnson*, Lia Stanciu*, Effect of Microstructure and Strain on the Degradation Behavior of Novel Bioresorbable Iron-manganese Alloy Implants, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A (2015) 103(2), 738-745.
- A. Karimi*, A Othman*, A. Uzunoglu*, L. Stanciu*, S. Andreescu*, Graphene based enzymatic bioelectrodes and biofuel cells, Nanoscale (2015) 7(16), 6969-6923.
- Michael Heiden*, Emily Walker, Eric Nauman*, Lia Stanciu*. Evolution of novel bioresorbable iron-manganese implant surfaces in-vitro and their degradation behaviors. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A (2015) 103(1), 185-193.
- A. Uzunoglu*, H. Zhang, S. Andreescu, L.A. Stanciu*, CeO2-MOx (M: Zr, Ti, Cu) mixed metal oxides with enhanced oxygen storage capacity. Journal of Materials Science (2015) 50(10), 3750-3762.
- Daniel Ysselstein*, Mehul Joshi, Vartika Mishra, Amy M Griggs*, Josephat M Asiago, George P McCabe, Lia A Stanciu, Carol Beth Post, Jean-Christophe Rochet*. Effects of impaired membrane interactions on a-synuclein aggregation and neurotoxicity. Neurobiology of Disease (2015) 79, 150-163.
- A.T. Rosenberger*, S. Hodson, T. Fisher, L. Stanciu*, Reactive Hot Pressing and Properties of Zr1-xTixB2-ZrC Composites. Journal of the American Ceramic Society (2015) 98 (3), 711-716.
- A. Uzunoglu*, A.D. Scherbarth, L.A. Stanciu*, Bimetallic PdCu Non-Enzymatic Hydrogen Peroxide Sensors. Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical 2015 220, 968-976
- X. Ye*, H. Bae, Y.C. Shin*, Lia A. Stanciu, In Situ Synthesis and Characterization of Zr-Based Amorphous Composite By Laser Direct Deposition, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A (2015) 46(9), 4316-4325.
- Zhe-Fei Li*, Le Xin*, Fan Yang, Yadong Liu, Yuzi Liu, Hangyu Zhang, Lia Stanciu, and Jian Xie*, Hierarchical Polybenzimidazole-grafted Graphene Hybrids as Supports for Pt Nanoparticle Catalysts with Excellent PEMFC Performance Nano Energy (2015) 16, 281-292
- Andrew Rosenberger*, Lia Stanciu*, Field Assisted Sintering of Li1.3Al0.3Ti1.7(PO4)3 Solid State Electrolyte, Solid State Ionics (2015) 278, 217-221
- Hangyu Zhang*; Jean-Christophe Rochet; Lia A Stanciu*, Cu(II) Promotes Amyloid Pore Formation, Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications (2015) 464(1), 342-347.
- Michael Heiden*, David Johnson*, Lia Stanciu*, Surface Modification through dealloying of Fe-Mn and Fe-Mn-Zn alloys developed to create tailorable, nanoporous, bioresorbable orthopaedic implants Acta Materialia (2016) 103, 115-127.
- Andrew Rosenberger*, Lia Stanciu*, Oxidation and Ablation Resistance of ZrB2-SiC-ZrC Composites: Influence of ZrC Fraction and the SiC:ZrC Ratio, Journal of the European Ceramics Society (2016) (submitted January, 2016).
- A. Uzunoglu*, L. A. Stanciu, Novel CeO2-CuO-decorated Enzymatic Lactate Biosensors Operating in Low Oxygen Conditions, Analytica Chimica Acta (2016), accepted, published online January 7, 2016.
- Jian Xie*, Fan Yang*, Le Xin, Zhe-Fei Li, Qi Liu, Aytekin Uzunoglu, Chuankun Jia, Lia Stanciu, and Yuzi Liu*, Durability Study of Graphenes as Catalyst Supports Using both Rotating Disk Electrode and Membrane Electrode Assembly Techniques, Journal of the Electrochemical Society (2016) (submitted January 2016)
What We've Achieved
- Understanding the mechanisms of self assembly of the alpha-synuclein protein into fibers by cryo-TEM, thus shedding light into Parkinson's Disease Pathogenesis.
- Development of a large array of sensors and biosensors for the detection of food and water contaminants (E. Coli O157:H7, pesticides).
- Development of sensors for the detection of mosquito borne viruses.
- Development of new metallic materials for temporary orthopedic implants (screws, pins)
- Understanding electrical field effects on the microstructure of Li-ion battery ceramics (LATP, LVP).
- Insight into Spark Plasma Sintering of high temperature ceramics (ZrB2, SiC)